You are now visiting the Philips lighting website. A localized version is available for you.


    Can linear LEDs be used as a substitute for T8 or T5 fluorescent lamps?


    Most LED tubes, although they have the same size, lamp base and possibly a lumen output close to that of linear fluorescent; do not have the same omni directional light distribution of linear fluorescents. Many luminaires, especially troffers with reflectors that offer batwing (wide-spread) light distribution with fluorescents; emit 20%-30% less light output with narrower beam spreads with LEDs. This needs to be taken into account when considering the overall 30-50% less power usage by LEDs with increased system efficiencies.
    It is likely that the luminaire will need some rewiring and this should be done in conformance with the local electrical installation standards.